“I see all this potential,and I see squandering.
God damn it,an entire generation pumping gas,waiting table;slaves with white collars.
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes,working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need.
We’re the middle children of history,man. No purpose or place.
We have No Great War. No Great Depression.
Our Great War is a spiritual war.
Our Great Depression is our lives.
We’ve been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowing learning that fact. And we’re very,very pissed off.” – Quote from Fight Club
Our brains is in many ways un-adapted to the times we live in.
They say the current generation suffers from affluenza, a sickness born of an affluent upbringing.
In our modern day and age, we no longer have to struggle to survive since our basic needs have become pretty much guaranteed.
Because of this our instincts no longer tell us what’s best for us and we fall into what Viktor E. Frankl describes as “an existential vacuum”.
We’ve become detached from direction and fill up our spare-time as zombies living a 9-5 death grind.
We stay in jobs we hate, numbing our sentences with fast food, internet porn, and reality TV, liking millions of Facebook photos over the course of our lives.
We resort to stimulation or sedation to fill up the remaining emptiness leading to boredom, addiction, depression, aggression and even suicide.
We have no code to follow.
We wander without direction, without purpose.
We’re lost trying to find our way in this world.
What do you want to be remembered for?
- The porn you watched?
- The photos you liked on Facebook? OR
- The Wage Slave who worked for scraps and peanuts to make others rich?
As I was writing this article, I was listening to a Dwight Yoakam song called “Back of your hand” Population: Me – Dwight Yoakam (Album) and a line hit me like a ton of bricks.
“You think you are lost without any place left to go”.
It resonated with me. I can understand where the lyrics are coming from.
Once upon a time, I thought I was lost with no place left to go.
It was either sink to the bottom or rise to the top.
I made my choice to rise to the top and things got better and better every day in every way.
It’s all about making a choice.
- Are you going to do unfulfilling, boring, shitty work or are you going to do work that fires you up? Work that gets you out of bed in the morning because you can’t fucking wait to do it.
- Are you going to keep watching the TV and never get anything accomplished or turn that motherfucking soul sucker off forever?
- Are you going to eat nothing but real, healthy, natural whole food and see how fucking great you feel or all that nasty food loaded with added chemicals, fillers, and addictive compounds that work to make you stupid, lazy, docile, fat, weak, and sick?
- Are you going to go out and start talking to girls or instead of going out and trying to meet girls you’ll sit at home in the dark playing with yourself?
I have made my decision. It’s time for you to make yours.
And remember, there are no short-cuts, my friend.
Your decision is the ultimate power.
As Stephen Covey said “You are not a product of any circumstance. You are a product of your decisions”.
Until next time,